Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can i be charged with failure to register in two different…

Customer Question
Can i be charged...

Can i be charged with failure to register in two different counties

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes court appointed. My son is setting in jail being charged with the charge he is already going to court for. Isnt that double jeopardy. The court appointed attorney can mot give me the answer to that

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He was registered in one county started going thru a divorce and was pretty much homeless, stayed with me on ocassion the cops in my county arrested him for failure to register. Now the county where he was registered but didnt not re register r

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/28/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Double jeopardy applies when someone is brought to trial and trial starts and it ends and then they try to try him again for the same offense arising out of the same facts and circumstances at the same time.

He could be charged with failure to register in any county where he was found to be residing. So if he was residing in one county and did not register and then then resided with you part of the time, those are two separate instances and both could be charged.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer