Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Was wondering when my son would be eligible for parole of 35…

Customer Question
Was wondering when my...

Was wondering when my son would be eligible for parole of 35 yr sentence ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has served approx 12 yrs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this. Please tell me exactly what he has been sentenced for?

I believe his was sentenced for Murder but not sure .
35 years was his sentence 12 yrs ago .

Thank you. Unfortunately, he is not eligible for parole, per se. In FL, sentencing guidelines were enacted, thereby effectively abolishing parole for those offenders who were sentenced for crimes committed on or after October 1, 1983. There is no mandatory date for release prior to end of his sentence. See HERE. Florida's early releases are now based on basically good behavior.

If it was first degree murder, there is simply no parole in majority of cases.

If it was second degree murder, he may be considered after about 15 years, for good behavior.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.