Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Maybe. Georgia. I have a couple of calls in but no response…

Customer Question
Georgia Lawyer's Assistant: Have...

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have a couple of calls in but no response as of yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/27/2017
Criminal Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Good morning. I was charged with Transact Card fraud in the state of Georgia, 3 counts. Can it be both a felony and misdemeanor in Georgia? Police said misdemeanor but everything I read online says felony.
I am at work and cannot take phone calls.

Can you tell me, what what is the value claimed (how much are they claiming you stole)?

62.00 67.00 & 65.00
hello

Thanks

This can be charged as a felony, since the value of all three combined is over $100

Now...the state has discretion...so it is possible they charge as misdemeanor...but they can bring this as a felony charge

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

regardless of if was three different transactions, wonder why the police told me it would be misdemeanor.
That is Georgia law correct?

You can see the law here

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-9/article-3/16-9-33/

And it is MUCH easier for the state to bring misdemeanor charges (no grand jury required)...so if you have no priors? I would expect that the prosecutor would opt for misdemeanor charges

thank you for your help

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil