Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I went to court last week to observe for class and in the…

Customer Question
I went to court...

I went to court last week to observe for class and in the case number ***** the abbreviation NF What does that mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I looked it up, and it says it might mean not filed. But the accused had already been arrested and a bail had been set in a previous hearing.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/26/2017
Criminal Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

California case number ***** are not standardized. The abbreviation absolutely does not mean "not filed" (despite the silly answers by a wide range of attorneys on the internet who are simply guessing, rather than to admit ignorance.

More likely, the abbreviation represents the court division in the county (e.g., "North Fresno") -- or it may indicate the type of criminal case (e.g., "Nonviolent Felony").

The only way to be certain is to contact the court clerk and ask -- because, as I said, these codes are not standardized from one county to another.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!