Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can probable cause be challenged on appeal if it wasn't

Customer Question
Can probable cause be challenged...
Can probable cause be challenged on appeal if it wasn't raised in the trial court and a plea of no contest was entered 2 years ago? I was stopped for a marked lanes violation and the cop claimed I drifted across the medium of the highway dividers so I changed my not guilty and plead no contest due to being mislead by the information 2 years ago. I did not have the cop's dash cam video footage until the trial court was over and I saw that my car never drifted over as the cop claimed though it did hit the lane line.The cop by the way initially gave a warning and told me I was free to go after he had done his investigatory stop and saw I was not impaired. I asked for his name and he tried to escalate the matter and then decided to issue a traffic citation out of retaliation.Is a Unconstitutional matte waived if not challenged timely?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/26/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 7 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

By taking a plea, you waived your rights to challenge the evidence against you. So unfortunately, you cannot raise that issue on appeal. If you waived your rights and took a plea because you couldn't understand what you were doing or were poorly advised by counsel, you can appeal on those grounds. But you can't now challenge probable cause.

when a prosecutor breaks their legal ethical responsibility then it's still waived and cannot be reversed? The dashcam is very clear evidence that the charge was not supported by probable cause. So I can't challenge a prosecutors ethical violation to get it reversed?Rule 3.8 of The prosecutor in a criminal case shall:(a) refrain from prosecuting a charge that the prosecutor knows is not supported by probable cause;
ii) undertake further investigation, or make reasonable efforts to cause an investigation, to determine whether the defendant was convicted of an offense that the defendant did not commit.(h) When a prosecutor knows of clear and convincing evidence establishing that a defendant in the prosecutor’s jurisdiction was convicted of an offense that the defendant did not commit, the prosecutor shall seek to remedy the conviction.