Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was charged with assault. I was jumped by a large group of…

Customer Question
I was charged with assault. I...
I was charged with assault.
I was jumped by a large group of people.
When the police arrived there was obviously more witnesses who claimed that I was the aggressor.
But they didn't ask anyone else.
They didn't ask neighbors or anything. It was my word against all of theirs. And now I'm being charged because I tried to defend myself.
I don't just want to prove my innocence...I want the people responsible to be held accountable...what can I do?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/25/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Ok.

I'm sorry to hear this happened.

Do you have any witnesses that are able and willing to testify on your behalf?

I don't.

Okay, give me a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

I was arrested a few blocks from where it happened...but I tried to take pictures..and there's a mound of dirt where it happened.
Lots of footprints, my blood everywhere...how is that not proof?

Were photos taken by the police investigators or samples of the dirt and blood?

No. And they won't. They filed a supplemental report. And said its just basically an affidavit of my side of the story.

Were you able to take photos of your blood and the footprints at the scene of the incident?

They are dark and not very detailed (it happened at night).
I can go back and take better pictures...it's all still there

Yes, you should do that as soon as possible so that you have your own physical evidence, and so that you can demonstrate in court that the police failed to properly investigate this themselves.

Please allow me just a few minutes, and I'll type up some additional information for you, thanks!

Ok

The prosecutor will try to prove the case against you using physical evidence and witness testimony.

The fact that there are several witnesses claiming you were the aggressor of course does not work in your favor.

If you can persuade some of the other witnesses or neighbors that were there to come forward and speak on your behalf, then that would be very helpful for your case, and even enough to provide reasonable doubt as to your guilt.

If you can take the photos that we described above that would also be very helpful for your case because it would:

(1.) corroborate your side of the events (that you were jumped), and

(2.) demonstrate the officers' bias and faulty investigation since they did not stop to take photographs of the scene and make a determination as to what really occurred

If you don't already have an attorney you should look into hiring one, to represent you in court and argue your legal defenses and everything I've mentioned above.

If you can't afford a private attorney right now, once will be appointed to you by the court at your first court date.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer