Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I want to understand what happens in a Florida sentencing…

I want to understand what...
I want to understand what happens in a Florida sentencing hearing following a murder conviction. I understand these hearings are transcribed and made available as public record. Where could I find these transcripts?
11/24/2017
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dxxxxx B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

The hearings are transcribed and are considered public records unless the court has sealed them for some reason (usually to protect someone's privacy or because a minor was somehow involved).

However, while a court reporter is transcribing what s said, it doesn't necessarily mean that the trial is then transferred from the "machine language" into a transcript which everyone can read. If someone does not appeal, then the court reporter rarely does the extra work to convert the transcription into actual text.

In addition, if someone does appeal, then the transcription is sent to anyone who pays for a copy and the "public copy" is sent to the Court of Appeals until the appeals are over and all of the records are returned back to the trial court. At that point a member of the public could go to the clerk of courts office and be allowed to read through the text version there at the office.

If there is not an appeal then the only way to look at a copy is to pay the court reporter for a copy of the trial to be transcribed into text.

Is there any transcript available of a murder sentencing hearing? I'd just like to read one.

I'm sure that if you go to the local clerk of court's office they will be able to tell you the name of a murder trial in the courts there and then you could look in the file. Almost all murder convictions are appealed and so there should be transcripts there in the office.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.

Just to be clear- you cannot offer me a link to find or download the transcript of a murder sentencing hearing. Is that correct?
I am Not in Florida and therefore cannot go visit the clerk of court,

No, I can look if you want but Florida doesn't put those online (nor do any of the other states of which I am aware) because of the amount of storage space taken up. Usually the clerks just list the documents that are in their files but they don't put the actual documents there.

When you do find one online it is usually just a piece of one attached to a paper or something like that. If you want to pay for a copy then you can contact the clerk's office and if they have a transcript you can pay for the copy and the mail charges.

I'll take a look and see what I can see.

Oh I see. Thank you. I’m sorry for misunderstanding the complexity of this process.

No problem. It's a lot more complicate than most people think. I found one sentencing hearing but it is after someone changed their mind and decided not to accept a plea bargain. It is very similar to what happens after a trial.

I also have a transcript of a trial I am working on a book about but it is from Texas and back in the late 80s early 90s, will either of these work?

I’d love to see both. Thank you SO much for the effort!

Here is the link to the Florida one: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/plea/four/nycourt.html

I'm sorry, I don't have the sentencing portion of the transcript on the Texas case. I'm out of town for the holidays and apparently didn't bring the files I already covered. However, I did find a link in my notes to the Ted Bundy Archives and it has the court transcripts in it, which would include the sentencing, would you like that?

No, apparently they pulled the Bundy materials down.

Now it just lists them but doesn't show them. Let me look at one more thing.

Let me see if this file will attach

Okay, that is the jury verdict and sentencing part of a capital murder case in Texas. A Statement of Facts is the same thing as a transcript.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Also, if you go to this Google Search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=florida+transcript+murder+trial+sentencing&ei=ImIYWq_AAuXajwTtn4_ICQ&start=10&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=591

You'll see some videos, some files, etc. which may have other things you are interested in.

Thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. While the answers I give can't always be "good news", since the law can't always be favorable to everyone, I do strive to be as accurate as possible and to answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

You may receive a survey of some kind in the next day or so regarding your experience here at JustAnswer. Please be advised that I am responsible for the content of my answers but not with the issues of website performance or anything other than the answer. I hope that you will consider issuing a Positive Rating regarding my service to you so that I can continue helping others.

If I can ever provide assistance to you in the future please feel free to ask for me by starting your new question with "FOR Dxxxxxx B ONLY" and I will pick up as soon as I see the question.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer