Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What if a man tricks you into believing he is in love with…

Customer Question
What if a man tricks...
What if a man tricks you into believing he is in love with you and you have your workmans comp checks sent to his house in another state because he has led you to believe he wants you to move there with him and have a life, then he cons you into giving him your checks , plus you send him money and come to find out he has onl used you for your money and he has been cheating with someone else, and you even put him on your bank account? I feel he has done this to others , I have proof he has done this to me, what can I do ?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/24/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Did he promise anything in writing, such as marriage, in return for your checks and bank account?
Through texts he said he wants a life with me and eventually marriage and that he wanted me to move to Texas
I am getting a settlement through my job I am on workmans comp
He always tells me he needs money for his bills and then calls me names or gets pissed if I do not give it to him, I closed my bank account and opened another one
I bought a ticket to go there Saturday and I found out tonight he was cheating on me he got pissed called me a liar and an ignorant fat bitch
I do not think this is right for him to do and for months my checks were going to his residents and he would con me into giving them to him and well now they go to my attorney
Plus I would send him money by money gram and I would transfer from my account to his and one time I went to Texas and gave him 3400
I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Unfortunately, courts view infidelity before marrige as more of a social issue than a legal one, and do not really offer a legal remedy in these sorts of situations. If there were a written contract for the marriage, in exchange for the money, then there may be a case for breach.
But asking for money is not, in and of itself, illegal. You could have refused. He acted immorally, but, I am afraid, not ilegally.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.
there is nothing I can do
You can cut off all contact with him and move on with your life.
If he borrowed money and promised repayment then you can sue for breach of contract, but you can not sue to recover a gift you gave voluntarily. Again, I am sorry.
What if his bank account was overdrawn and since he was on mine the bank took it from my account to take his out of being over drawn
One time he asked me if he could use 40 from my account I said yes to 40 and then he took a 100 instead of the 40
Well, on a joint account you are both equally liable for repaying the bank for an overdraft.
If he was named as an owner on the account then you basically gifted him the entire account.
I was not on his account ? They took it from mine to put i his
Was he named on the account from which the money was taken?
Wow there should be a law against this and a law against women or men being conned by a con man, why isn’t there laws to protect innocent people
but I was not on his where he over drew his account
This is bullshit
Let’s keep it polite and professional.
You made a mistake. Do not beat yourself up over it. Think of it as a learning experience and move on.
There are many laws protecting people. Unfortunately, there is no law to protect you if you are involved with someone and you voluntarily give them money when they just ask or demand.
The law presumes you can say no, if you want. In other words, the law presumes it is your money to keep or give away as you see fit.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Good night and good luck.
Ely, Counselor at Law