Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I don't understand? My husband has served his minimium of 3…

Customer Question
I don't understand?...

I don't understand? My husband has served his minimium of 3 years and was recently granted parole. He has never been in trouble iwt the law and now he received a notices from the prosecutor unders section 791-236-2? Is he in danger of losing his parole? He has been an exceptional inmate with no tickets, and is highly respected by all the co's in the facility? I am worried

Lawyer's Assistant: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No we just found out and it states based upon new information and we have no idea what information they could possibly have he has never been in trouble and just wants to come home and make a new life

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I assume the Monroe county judge signed the order, and then it was passed on to the victim and prosecutor?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/24/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 5 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

The section of the law that you cited is from Michigan's Corrections Code, and, yes, it looks like your husband's parole may be revoked. This is what the statute says:

"(2) A parole order may be rescinded at the discretion of the parole board for cause before the prisoner is released on parole. A parole shall not be revoked unless an interview with the prisoner is conducted by 1 member of the parole board. The purpose of the interview is to consider and act upon information received by the board after the original parole release decision. A revocation interview shall be conducted within 45 days after receiving the new information. At least 10 days before the interview, the parolee shall receive a copy or summary of the new evidence that is the basis for the interview."

So it would seem that yes, he's in danger of losing his parole.

Parole came into some new information about your husband and that is holding up his release. Parole can't cancel the order to release him without a special interview as to that new information. Your husband is going to get something in writing which will tell him what the information is all about, so that he can be prepared to address this at the interview. Whether his parole will be revoked will depend upon the outcome of the interview.

He needs to contact his lawyer.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD