Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is there some type of law that will save my daughter from…

Customer Question
Hi is there some type...
Hi is there some type of law that will save my daughter from being sent to prison for 3 felony auto theft charges behind her drug addition she never got into trouble till she started using drugs about 5 years ago she 27 now and got the 3 felony charges one after another she got The 3rd before she even went to court for the first one that's how close in time the arrests were
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/24/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 7 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

It's possible that she could avoid jail. She has three cases but she hasn't been convicted yet on any of them. If she has nothing prior on her record, a lawyer may be able to convice the prosecutor that this is all drug related and let her plead to a probationary sentence where she would be mandated to complete in-patient drug treatment or house arrest with outpatient intensive drug treatment.

It's clear she's out of control, but in my experience, it's not impossible for her to avoid prison if she's willing to help herself.

Well I just found out that she had drugs on her when she was booked into the woman's jail but she says she forgot it was in her bra and now they are telling me that's going to be another felony charge and also a bail enhancement charge which is also a felony for being out on bail and getting arrested again for the same charge she was bailed out on ??

Thank you. All of that is true, unfortunately. THe more you keep getting arrested while you have other open cases, the more the charges she will have against her and the more the bail will be. Whenever a defendant is so out of control with his or her life that he or she can't make it from one adjourn date to another without getting charged for a new crime, judges look to protect society by making it difficult for that person to bail out.

The bad news is that bail will probably not be affordable. The good is that she will detox in jail whether she wants to or not, and the possession of the drugs will help support her lawyer's contention that drugs are behind these thefts and that she needs something help-oriented.

The prosecutor still has it in his or her power to offer her a package deal involving serious drug treatment. I don't know if you're daughter's really interested in that or if the DA will trust her enough to want to do it. But in the end, your daughter still has non-violent drug related charges and as yet has no convictions on her record.

It would probably not be a good idea to bail her out again. Put your money instead towards gettiing her a good lawyer who can, hopefully, make something positive come about with all of this.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.