Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

This one is for criminal law experts. This is just a quote…

Hi this one is for...
Hi this one is for criminal law experts. This is just a quote from a judge and I'm having a little bit of difficulty interpreting his meaning because he's using phrases I don't quite understand. He said "If there were going to be a trial, there would have potentially been evidence that she went along." Now when he says that does he mean, there might be evidence, as in evidence the veracity of which has not yet been determined? Or does he just mean evidence had been discovered that was presentable at a trial if there was going to be one? Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. The case did not go to trial by the way.
11/23/2017
N Cal Attorney

Thank you for your question.

My interpretation is that using the word "potentially" indicates there might be evidence, not that there was already known evidence that had been discovered.

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Attorney
Not a very good reason to stop a trial then. Thanks for your input.

Thank you very much for the positive rating!