Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

11 years ago i was convicted of tax fraud and ordered to pay…

Customer Question
11 years ago i...

11 years ago i was convicted of tax fraud and ordered to pay over $114K, in restitution. I have faithfully made payments directly to the IRS Restitution address provided to me each month but the balance is still around $101K. I just received a notice of administrative offset wanting immediate payment of the full balance. Due to my financial situation, i cannot afford to pay the full balance and have only been paying $50 a month or more. I was never given a set amount to pay each month from the get go. Do you think it would be wise to send them a letter requesting a scheduled payment agreement (says i can on the letter) with a higher amount offered and do you think they will put a hold on the offset if i do so?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
I make less than $15 hr and have 2 children. One child has special needs. I live paycheck to paycheck and I don't own anything and have very little in the back. My wife owns the house i live in now and purchased it before we were married. I have very little in the bank too. We file Married Filing Separately for taxes and have separate bank accounts. She does make much more money than me. Would the DOJ go after her income too?
11/23/2017
Criminal Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Did you still need assistance on the above?

Can’t afford to call though.