Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have A pending misdemeanor possession case from 2015,I…

Customer Question
I have A pending...

I have A pending misdemeanor possession case from 2015,I went to court on two different ocaisions was told some one would get in touch with me about the case.. They did , two years later after I haved moved and went on with my life. My question is is this legal to bring this back up after two years?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No just found out

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

It sounds as though your case may have been placed on the dead docket.

This is where a charge is filed (so that statute of limitations is satisfied and won't apply) but for some reason the prosecutor is not ready or able to proceed with the case. This could be because of a problem with the evidence, or some other unavailable witness, etc.

When the prosectur is ready to proceed with the case again, it can then be taken off the dead docket and placed back on to the active docket.

You constitutional right to a speedy trial still applies though, so your attorney should look into filing a motion to dismiss on these grounds.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!