Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was on Pre-trial diversion program in Texas, I got

arrested in dallas this last...
I was on Pre-trial diversion program in Texas, I got arrested in dallas this last weekend for PI and resisting arrest. What happens now?
11/22/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help, give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

One of the conditions of pre trial diversion is that you do not get into any more legal trouble/ acquire any new cases.

Unfortunately this means that your pre trial diversion can possibly be revoked now, due to the new charges.

It will be in the prosecutor's discretion, but most likely they will revoke your diversion status, which means you'll then most likely be placed on probation.

Probation means that the charge won't be dismissed at the end of your probation period (in pre trial diversion the case is dismissed when you complete the program).

Of course you will also have to face the 2 new charges.

PI is a class C misdemeanor which means it doesn't carry any penalty of jail time, but is punishable by a fine of up to $500.

Resisting arrest is a class A misdemeanor which means it is punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a $4,000 fine.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Am I looking at jail time for violating the terms of diversion program?

It's possible, but unlikely.

If you qualified for diversion, then the next step would be probation, not jail time.

I hope that helps!

Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer