Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son was charged with not registering but have the

Customer Question
registering paperwork can they still...
My son was charged with not registering but have the registering paperwork can they still hold him in jail his Po told me those papers I have don't mean nothing but I also called him to and he came by my house
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 7 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If the paperwork you have shows that your son did actually register, then if there is no other reason he is being held in jail, his detention would be unlawful. YOu would need to show that paperwork to a local criminal lawyer who could file a writ to get your son before the judge and to force the state to show that they have some right to keep him or to release him.

I do not know why his PO says that the paperwork you have doesn't mean anything. Perhaps it doesn't establish that he actually completed his registration. If the PO's accurate, however, they would have the right to hold him in on bail for his failure to register.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.