Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have someone that is threating me and my family. He asked…

Customer Question
I have someone that...

I have someone that is threating me and my family. He asked my son for money and now he is calling people I know telling lies. He told my brother he would kill him. But I don't know who it is. they always call from a made up computer number. and today he call my sons boss trying to find us. what should I do

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, called the police but they said it was nothing they could do since we don't know who it is

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, he took my photo off of facebook and made a fake add for backpage and sent it out to people in Huntsville. he also called my daughter and told her someone must die. and he constantly sends me text messages just calling me a bitch

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

The FBI has an Internet Crime Center that they can use to try to figure out who is doing this. There are ways to track phone calls and emails and IP addresses and to determine where a harassing email or other online message is coming from. Quite honestly, your police department should have someone in cybercrime who can help you. You may want to call back and ask to talk to a superior officer if they won't take a report. Their job is to serve and protect, and they should at least open an investigation. But you can file with the FBI either way, and they may be better equipped to handle it. The only problem is, they tend to be backed up.

https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

Taking someone's pictures off Facebook and opening a fake account is a common method used by scam artists. If you haven't already, report the fake account to Facebook, and they should remove it. Make screenshots of any posts or messages from that account so you have them as evidence before you do that, as filing a report will block the account so you can't see it anymore.

It can also help to change your Facebook profile so only your friends can see it, and change your settings so only people with mutual friends can find you in searches or send you a friend request. That helps cut down on run-of-the-mill scammers. Then go through your profile and remove people you don't know personally, plus anyone you never talk to or who you think might be capable of something like this. See if that makes any difference.

On top of that, if he's always using the same computer number, most smart phones can block that specific number. Just make screen shots of the call history and any messages first. That way, you won't see his messages.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer