Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a simple battery case family violence yesterday was…

Customer Question
I have a simple...

I have a simple battery case family violence yesterday was my first appearance and I plead not guilty so I have another court date

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?

The state is Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm just trying to figure out if I plead not guilty on my next court date

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 6 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Basically, a criminal defendant pleads not guilty at his arraignment and continues to hold himself out as not guilty until he either is offered a plea by the prosecutor that he wishes to take advantage of or, if he doesn't want a plea offer, unless he is convicted after trial.

As a matter of policy, even if you know you are guilty and want to take a deal, you don't change your plea to guilty unless/until you get the deal you want. Once you plead guilty you are convicted, and you can no longer bargain for a particular outcome. Your sentence would be at the discretion of the judge. So the work to get a good deal must be done while you are still not guilty.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.