Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a simple battery case family violence yesterday was…

Customer Question
I have a simple...

I have a simple battery case family violence yesterday was my first appearance and I plead not guilty so I have another court date

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?

The state is Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm just trying to figure out if I plead not guilty on my next court date

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 5 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Basically, a criminal defendant pleads not guilty at his arraignment and continues to hold himself out as not guilty until he either is offered a plea by the prosecutor that he wishes to take advantage of or, if he doesn't want a plea offer, unless he is convicted after trial.

As a matter of policy, even if you know you are guilty and want to take a deal, you don't change your plea to guilty unless/until you get the deal you want. Once you plead guilty you are convicted, and you can no longer bargain for a particular outcome. Your sentence would be at the discretion of the judge. So the work to get a good deal must be done while you are still not guilty.

Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD