Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Um is telling someone your dating if they see someone else

you will kill them considered...
um is telling someone your dating if they see someone else you will kill them considered domestic violence even if you don't live with the person and is it considered a death threat. is it punishable by law. and is it reason for a protection order even if no proof is given . even if proof such as recording could be given it would be dissmissable by court unless you had police permission before you obtained evidence correct ?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: ohio summit county akron
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: recently no its because of the guy I live with we are friends and date other people he told me this chick he is seeing is crazy and said that too him but he is brushing it off I am nervous for myself though because I also feel it is a threat to me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I haven't talk to a lawyer but I dated a guy that way myself for six and a half years and I don't want that mess around me and I know its his choice who he talks to but if he wants a way out of it I want to know what his options are
11/21/2017
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

is telling someone your dating if they see someone else you will kill them considered domestic violence even if you don't live with the person and is it considered a death threat. is it punishable by law.

.

Yes, under Ohio law that is menacing and a 4th degree misdemeanor. See ORS 2903.22 Menacing.

.

and is it reason for a protection order even if no proof is given

.

Yes, if the judge believes the person making the claims that they are in fear for their safety.

.

even if proof such as recording could be given it would be dissmissable by court unless you had police permission before you obtained evidence correct ?

.

Incorrect. A recording can be made if it is evidence of a crime without any permission. And in Ohio it only takes one party's knowledge or permission to record a conversation.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
thanks that clears allot up.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law