Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How can I find out if a warrant shows up on a background…

Customer Question
How can I find...

How can I find out if a warrant shows up on a background check. Worried about clearing customs. Warrant is for bogus check in 1985

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Oklahoma County, Ok activated in 2002

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is really it... and how can I take care of it without an arrest. I am a nurse and would be reportable to my board

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Thank you

how can I find out if a warrant shows up on a background check. Worried about clearing customs.

Answer: when travelling internationally and providing your passport for a passport scan, outstanding warrants do show up. If you travel without having this cleared first, you do run the risk of being detained and transported in custody to the jurisdiction from which the warrant originates.

how can I take care of it without an arrest.

Answer: you would want to hire an attorney in the county from which the warrant originates, and have them address the case on your behalf. If this is from a problematic check from back in 1985, your attorney should be able to get something worked out with the court where you are not facing any serious penalties (as this was so long ago).

Having an attorney represent you and appear in court on your behalf would get the warrant quashed (removed), and would hopefully bring a favorable resolution and closure of the case.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Would this warrant show up on a background check that would cause me problems at customs, if I travel?

Yes it should appear. Any outstanding warrants appear when coming through customs.

Of course there's always a possibility that it somehow may not show up, but yes you should assume that it will.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer