Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

In the state of, if you are a registered sex offender

Customer Question
Second opinion] in the...

Second opinion] in the state of virginia, if you are a registered sex offender applying or living in an apartment complex, must you tell your the office of that complex?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Are people in the apartment complex office permitted to tell interested applicants if there are registered sex offenders or is an actively violent area?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

A registered sex offender is not required to tell an apartment complex, though they do have to of course register as an offender and comply with any regulations (e.g., restrictions against living anywhere too close to a school or daycare, for example). The name of any registered offender is also available to search by anyone. There is a possibility that an apartment complex could do a criminal background check and find the criminal history of a prospective tenant and deny them if they can show that there would be too much of a risk having the person as a tenant.

The apartment complex certainly could tell applicants - it's public record and the sex offender is registered on a database available to the public. Also, police will sometimes warn people in a community when a sex offender has moved into the area. As a general rule, apartment complexes do not disclose this information to tenants -they are not obligated to do so and again, the information can always be looked up. I imagine that most apartment complexes feel that disclosing the information voluntarily would make it harder to rent homes.

Was there anything I could clarify for you, or additional information you needed about this matter? If so, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING FIRST, and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, if I have fully answered your question, please leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. This is the only way experts like myself are compensated by the site for our time and assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer