Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If you are a "snitch" for police and you have the right to…

If you are a "snitch"...
If you are a "snitch" for police and you have the right to confront your accusers, and say you know this person and they wouldn't have normally do whatever crime your both accused of , until the cops influenced this ci?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Is that entrapment?

Your right to confront your accuser is a trial right. Your lawyer would be able to question him on cross-examination to show all of his motives to lie about you, so that the jury will doubt his credibility.

No. Sting operations are not entrapment. But most CIs are cooperating as part of a deal with the police that they won't get arrested if they turn over names of sellers.

Not so much "sting operations " but the fact they tempted and promised a friend that wouldn't normally do this until extraordinary charges he was threatened with?

No. He didn't have to cooperate. He was entitled to a lawyer.

As I've said, your lawyer can put that all out there before the jury if you go to trial on the case, and the jury will decide if he was coerced into framing you or telling the truth.

Zoey_ JD
Ok , what about ci's that are allowed to sell , manufacture and have basically a license to ignore law and endanger public?
Also in your opinion are there ci's that Are working selling to catch buyers more or vise versa?
As far as one more than the other
Or none one way or other ?

In my experience, working as a CI is not a license to use and sell and sooner or later, the police cut bait with them.

They are interested in street level buyers and sellers because they hope to turn them around to give up the names of people higher up in the drug cartels. That's what they are really going for when they cut CI agreements.

Generally, possession of drugs is a misdemeanor while sale is a felony. The police are more interested in making felony collars to help get them promoted.