Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am being threatened and harassed throughout the day by my…

Customer Question
I am being threatened...

I am being threatened and harassed throughout the day by my ex wife seeing what I can legally do too hopefully make it stop

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in North Carolina she I believe still lives in Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I have plenty of vulgar texts and call longs showing 70 plus calls over the last 2 days

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Your ex-wife is actually guilty of a crime by making these threatening and harassing phone calls.

Under Virginia law, it's actually a class 1 misdemeanor.

That means it's punishable by up to 1 year in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500.

The prosecutor could also elect to charge each one of these calls or incidents as separate counts -- which would multiply the pontential consequences your ex-wife would face.

You can set up a telephonic meeting with a prosecutor in Virginia to explain what's been happening, and you can email them copies of your phone records/ text message screen shots, and they will take it from there. A protective order would also be issued as part of the case, ordering your wife to not make contact with you, or else face additional criminal prosecution.

This is the number to the Commonwealth Attorney's Office in VA:

(###) ###-####/p>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer