Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am a registered sex offender in Texas and I drive a truck…

Customer Question
I am a registered...

I am a registered sex offender in Texas and I drive a truck for a living. Ive been on the registration for 7 years and this has never been an issue but i recently moved and the deputy i report to here seems thinks ive violated some rule. He thinks i need to report to the authorities in every place i go. I don't go to the same place three times in s month or stay there over 48 hours and i dont have a residence to report anyway. Im away from home more than 7 days but not in any particular place for any extended amount of time. I don't think I've violated any rule but going through the process of " beating " this will cause me to lose my job and my apartment. There is another rule about going somewhere for 7 days but i dont think ive violated that either but i cant find it anywhere to read it.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

I live in Texas but drive in all 48 states

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I dont have the money for a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ive contacted my state rep but havent heard back from them on the matter yet.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Criminal Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Law Professor replied 8 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

Under Texas law, you should request the judge to issue an order saying that you do not report in every state and that you drive for a living and that it would impair your ability to earn a living.

If you don't have money for a lawyer, you can ask the court to appoint one for you or else you can go to the public defender in your county in Texas and they will represent you without any charge. It is your constitutional right to have a lawyer and they will provide one if you cannot afford one.

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Criminal Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Law Professor replied 7 months ago

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. A bonus is very much appreciated after you rate. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Please rate the answer by clicking on 4 or 5 stars and close out the question.

A bonus is very much appreciated after you rate the answer.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.