Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Being summoned in civil district court. If someone files a…

This is WRT being summoned...
This is WRT being summoned in civil district court.If someone files a civil suit in district court against you and you never get summoned what-so-ever, and they do have your address, BUT you do respond without even being summoned, can you hold that against them for attempting to get Default Judgement? Is there anything you can do about this circumstance?
Thank you.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Okay, thank you.

If you file an answer here there is no default judgment.You may then contest to all of the pleadings of the Petitioner.

It is possible here they served by alternate service certified mail or newspaper publication.You can check that in the courts file there has to be a return of service.

Answer forms and self help to file answer

https://www.legalformpro.com/v/vspfiles/Preview_PDF/Civil_CIVLIT/CIVLIT_1000.pdf

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Reference

Delivery of citation. Unless you requested service when you requested the citation, you need to arrange for an authorized person to deliver the citation and Petition to the respondent. There is also fee for this service, unless you got a waiver of the fees based on your Affidavit of Indigency. If you request it, a person called a “process server” will give the citation and a copy of the Petition to the respondent. The process server will usually be a sheriff’s deputy or constable unless you hire your own private process server. No one in your family may serve the citation on the respondent.

5) Other ways to give legal notice.

• Service by mail. You can ask the clerk to mail the citation and petition to the person on the other side by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested. If the person on the other side does not sign the return receipt, then there is no legal notice. If the person on the other side is an inmate, you may not use service by mail and MUST use personal service by a process server.
  • Service by publication or posting. If you do not know where the person on the other side is, you may be able to serve them with notice of the suit by publishing legal notice in a newspaper. You will have to prove that you have tried hard to find the other person. The judge has to appoint a lawyer to represent the other side, and you may have to pay the lawyer’s fees. If your case is a divorce case and you cannot find your spouse, and if you do not have any children or much property, you may be able to use service by posting at the courthouse. To get information and forms for service by publication and service by posting, see the Giving Legal Notice information on TexasLawHelp.org.

6) Return of citation. When the person on the other side has been served by the process server, the process server will complete a Return of Citation to let the judge know how and when the person on the other side was served. The Return of Citation must be filed in the clerk's office with the rest of the papers in the case file.

Check here in court file to see how they claim they served you here.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer