Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My ex lied to the police and said that I beat her in order…

Customer Question
My ex lied to...

My ex lied to the police and said that I beat her in order to get favor for the guy she was cheating on me with. Can I get her charged with slander or something because she LIED. Should I request the police report? Its time for ACCOUNTABILITY.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Michigan 2010

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I will be calling the police

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

I'm very sorry to hear about what happened. However, because this happened in 2010, any potential remedies are going to be barred by the statute of limitations, or time limit in which a claim may be filed.

If she filed a false police report, and it resulted in your arrest, that can normally be charged as the filing of a false report (a misdemeanor). However, Michigan has a 6 year statute of limitations under which the state can charge someone with a misdemeanor. So no possible charge could be filed.

Similarly, while slander is form of defamation, the statute of limitations to file a possible lawsuit is one year from the date the false statement or statements was made.

I realize this is certainly not what you want to hear, and I never wish to give anyone bad news. Please realize however, that it would do you no good to be told less than the truth and would be unprofessional of me to do so. While I may not always agree with the law, I can only tell you what it says and how it applies to your situation.

Its alright man, its the time of accountability and to make guys aware of the slander. One step right after the other.
This isn’t to say that you couldn’t tell people what she had done. Truth is always a defense to defamation - so even if you were to post about it and she were to allege you defamed her, the truth of what you say is the defense.

Please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, as that is the only way experts like myself are credited by the site.

And as always, if you need clarification or additional information about this, you can always reply back to me. Thank you!

Was there anything I could clarify for you, or additional information you needed about this matter? If so, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING FIRST, and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, if I have fully answered your question, please leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. This is the only way experts like myself are compensated by the site for our time and assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer