Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was just caught with a lot of tabs, its still not known to…

Customer Question
Second opinion] hi my...

Second opinion] hi my name is ***** ***** was just caught with a lot of lsd tabs, its still not known to whats going tob happen but i said i was willing to work with them and turn in who i got them from. how will that benefit me?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Pflugerville tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No it literally just happened this morning at around 12

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Um well they also found fake money on me, but i had no intent ot use that money. That was given to me when i sold a speaker to some random guy. i told the cops that but they still charged me with it..another thing they did loose my phone so i dont know how they will contact me with the information about how i can work with them.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/18/2017
Criminal Lawyer: James Daloisio, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
James Daloisio

Hello Diego, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Working with the police may have three results: your charges get dismissed; your charges get reduced; or your charges remain the same. It depends on how much help your assistance has been to them, and what the District Attorney is willing to do in return. The police can only make recommendations to the District Attorney but it's up to the prosecutor to decide what happens to you.

If you cooperate with them and tell them where you got the tabs, they will probably want you to buy some more in a "controlled buy." Obviously, there is a certain element of danger in this. It won't be as easy as just giving them a name.

Also, you haven't had your case analyzed by a defense attorney; do the police have a good case against you, or not? It's possible they may not have as good a case as they would have you believe.

As for the fake money (counterfeit), it depends on whether you knew that it was counterfeit. They would have charged you either with the actual forgery of the money, or with possession. An element of possession is that you know what it is that you possess. So if you told the police that you were aware that the money was counterfeit, they can infer that you intended to use it illegally. One important factor would be how long you held onto it. The longer you had it, the more difficult it would be for the state to prove you intended to spend it.

My advice to you is to ask for an attorney who can review your case. If the case against you is solid then you would have to decide whether you wish to assist the police or not.

And you said they "lost" your cell phone? Or did they keep it so that they can get a warrant for its contents and analyze your calls/messages/mail? That is typical in drug cases. Perhaps they wanted to see what other names/numbers are in there for intelligence purposes. But that's another reason why you should request an attorney. You have to think about what might be on that phone. You said that they "charged" you so I'm presuming you were arrested and you have a court date. If you cannot afford an attorney before then, you should apply for the services of the public defender. If the police contact you and ask you to do anything before then, I really recommend that you consult with an attorney who can evaluate your case first. And don't worry about them contacting you. I believe they will know how to find you.

Hope that answered your question. If so, a positive rating here would be appreciated. And thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Lawyer