Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a felony warrant out of Calif for a construction

Customer Question
matter issued 3 years ago...
I have a felony warrant out of Calif for a construction matter issued 3 years ago. Can I fly to Hawaii and back? I currently live in Washington State
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/18/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

It is a risk.

You don't need a passport to fly to Hawaii if you are a US citizen. Technically outstanding warrants should only show up if a passport is scanned.

However, if your ID is run through a background check for any reason at the airport (new security checks, etc.), you do run the risk of having the warrant appear and being detained, and taken into custody.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!