Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I applied to xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxx since I was…

Customer Question
Hi. I applied to...

Hi. I applied to xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxx since I was forced to retire because I was discriminated against. I received Unemployment Benefits for only a few months and it stopped in June 2017. I have received a notice that I was overpaid for Unemployment Insurance Benefits plus 15% fraud penalty charge. If I pay the total sum back, will I have a criminal record of fraud? Will this impact my future employment, applying for auto loans, mortgages, etc.? I do not feel that I have committed a fraud but I just feel that I need to pay it off to move forward with my life. I have already appealed this decision but they have come back and said to repay + penalty. Shall I take this case to Circuit Court? What is my best option.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/18/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Ely, Counselor at Law