Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was just caught with a lot of tabs, its still not known to…

Customer Question
Hey so i was...

Hey so i was just caught with a lot of lsd tabs, its still not known to whats going tob happen but i said i was willing to work with them and turn in who i got them from. how will that benefit me?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Pflugerville tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No it literally just happened this morning at around 12

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Um well they also found fake money on me, but i had no intent ot use that money. That was given to me when i sold a speaker to some random guy. i told the cops that but they still charged me with it..another thing they did loose my phone so i dont know how they will contact me with the information about how i can work with them.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/17/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Were you booked and fingerprinted when you were caught with the LSD and the fake money? Do you want to cooperate with the cops?

No they let me go, it happened this morning. I am at home right now. They just sent the blotter paper to the lab, and yes i do want to cooperate with them.
i would if i had my phone. during the whole process they lost my phone..

If they let you go and they don't have your pedigree information (address/name/contact information) they may never be able to charge you with anything unless they can find you and recognize who you are.

If you want to cooperate with the police, however, to try to avoid an arrest, there are a few things you need to keep in mind:

-- they may or may not keep their word to you about not arresting you;

-- the deal is only as good as your information is. Expect to be able to give up the names of your friends and suppliers, for example.

-- For the reason above, cooperating can be dangerous

-- if your information is not good, they will arrest you anyway

-- working as a CI is not a free pass to sell or use drugs. They may or may not stand behind you if you have occasion to be rearrested. Again that depends on the quality of your information.

Most criminal defense lawyers dislike cooperation deals, because it gives their client a false sense of security. More often than not, these deals do not turn out successfully.

However, in general, the more successful ones have been those who waited to get arrested and then had their lawyer cut the cooperation deal between the lawyer and the DA. Cops don't have to keep their word. Prosecutors are required to.

ahh well that does give me a bit of relieve, how ever they did get my information but they didnt give me any papers according to the case. what do you think will happen. they mentioned something about if the blotter paper comes out positive they will have a warrant for my arrest. ik if i cooperate i can for sure get them the contact info of an acid plug i have. the person doesnt really know much about me so i am not worried about the danger. i just want the best possible out come. i guess my biggest question here is that if i cooperate, will i still be arrested if everything comes out smooth? like would my punishment be less severe? the cop told me i could be looking at 5-99 years in prison...i dont want that to happen im only 17 :/

If you're 17 years old and you were arrested, on a first offense if you didn't want to go to trial, you'd could wind up with nothing worse than probation depending upon how much of the product you had.

If you cooperate and your information is good, the police should honor their agreement and won't arrest you. Can I promise you that they won't? No. Police are allowed by law to lie to get the information they need about crime. There is actually Supreme Court law to that effect.

If you are concerned that the police won't honor their agreement, let them issue the warrant, then tell your lawyer that the police wanted to work with you and that you're willing. He can get a signed agreement with the DA. Then you'll know that the agreement is good.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.