Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How I purchase a weapon with a mis. conviction of

Customer Question
How I purchase a...

How I purchase a weapon with a mis. conviction of brandishing in juvi. and domestic court

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Va

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Charge is 12yrs old

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/17/2017
Criminal Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question.

You write

how I purchase a weapon with a mis. conviction of brandishing in juvi. and domestic court

what does that mean??

Can you provide some context?

Itryed to purchase a weapon and was denide for a mis. conviction of brandishing in 2005 in va. can I buy a weapon with this old conviction on my record
what is the reason I was denide the purchase and is it legal, I HAVE PAID FOR THE ANSWER

I do not know...that depends...was this a domestic violence issue?

Thank you

Under the so called "Lautenberg Law" it is a illegal for a person convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence crime to possess a firearm.
So if you were convicted of a DV offense? You are prohibited from possessing a weapon

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can possess a weapon, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.