Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was charged and arrested on vc1m23152(f) givin a court…

I was charged and...

I was charged and arrested on vc1m23152(f) givin a court date i hired attorney to show up at court in my behalf with out any notice they post poned because results of blood test were not in been almost a month is it legal for court to do this

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Ca 10 18 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes he said they could but i thought had a right speedy trial they wasted no time throwing me in jail time impounding my truck tryingi to suspend my license i was under legal limit for bac test then accused me of being on drugs i submitted blood test whant this whole mess behind me so i can go back to work

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just i havent done any drugs for years and was insulted when accused got mad at chp but not violent

how long to wait
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

Yes, under California and federal law, you do have the right to a speedy trial, so they can't hold you in jail indefinitely. In fact, I suggest you have your lawyer submit a motion to the court to have you released and tell them that you don't waive time, meaning that they have to bring you to trial within 30 days (which would be this coming weekend, as you say) or they have to release you and drop the matter.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor