Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My daughter unfortunately has got into drugs recently and it…

Customer Question
Hi my daughter unfortunately has...
Hi my daughter unfortunately has got into drugs recently and it has brought her so much trouble she had never arrested before this but now is facing 5 felony charges of auto theft and possession of burglary tools and after researching the punishment for these charges like any other crime the punishment get worse with the number of priors butbmy question is since she got all these charges during 3 separate arrests which she hasnt been found guilty on any of them yet and now the public defender is trying to run them concurrent can any of them be considered priors and she was also out on bail for the first when she got arrest for the same charges the third time
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/16/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The law considers "priors" to be prior CONVICTIONS. Since she has not been convicted on anything yet, as she is convicted, each subsequent conviction CAN be considered a prior offense to enhance the penalties. If her public defender is trying to make a deal to get all three handled at one time, this can avoid being labeled as priors and they can be served together as one sentence with each sentence running at the same time as the other, which is what concurrent means.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Criminal Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear this. Substance abuse can lead to so many other issues. What state is this in regards ***** ***** and did the 5 charges stem from the same incident?
No the 5 felonies were from three different arrests 1st arrest 1) auto theft and 2] possession of burglary tools 2nd arrest same 2 charges and 3rd arrest 1)auto theft but note she was out on bail on the first arrest when she was arrested on the 2nd and the third
California

I apologize; I was working from my mobile so your main contributors response did not appear- it looks like you have already been helped so I will opt out so you can rate your professional! Thank you!

Sorry for any confusion, we have had some major site glitches today and the site is not working like it is supposed to work Let me know if you have any follow up questions.