Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My wife and her brother have been not getting along each…

Customer Question
My wife and...

My wife and her brother have been not getting along each other because of their parents property. My wife have a argument with him and She said a lot of bad words to him like you’re a thief, no balls, and greed. Then she said to him you will kill because of money..His brother then reply to my wife “I will not regret killing you”

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Nope

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Then after a month their family had a round table meeting all six sibling. And because of heated argument , my wife brother again said . “ gun is cheap in Florida , I will buy a gun and I will kill all of you pointing my wife , and to his 2 brothers who is against with him.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/16/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

My question is Can I call a police and charge him of a death treat?

Sorry for the delay. I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help, give me just a moment to finish typing my response, thanks!

I'm sorry to hear this happened to your wife.

The answer to your question is yes, you can make a police report against him.

Under FL law, the crime here would actually be referred to as aggravated stalking.

The aggravated stalking statute covers death threats that cause the victim to be in fear for their safety, or the safety of their loved ones.

Based on the information you shared, this would be considered a 1st degree misdemeanor, which means it is punishable by up to 1 year in jail and/or a fine up to $1,000.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer