Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am facing a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge in…

Customer Question
I am facing a...

I am facing a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge in arkansas. I am from new York and travel 99% of the time in my car for my job.... what do I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I got pulled over, they told me they had probable cause to search because it smelled of marjuana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know who to contact as I'm not from Arkansas and i have no idea how it works there

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/15/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Okay, thanks

In Arkansas, possession of less than 4 oz. of marijuana is a misdemeanor potentially punishable by up to a year in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500. While jail is not an issue for you, a conviction on this charge will cause your driving privileges to be suspended for 6 months. Arkansas will inform NY of that suspension and NYS can suspend your license at that point, since every state will honor a sister state's suspension of driving privileges.

So you need a lawyer in Arkansas to help you resolve this in some way that would hopefully allow you to keep your license.

Unfortunately, per the terms of service of this website, legal experts are not allowed to represent customers, since JustAnswer is not a law firm. Nor are experts allowed to make direct referrals to specific lawyers or law firms. What I can do, however, is to direct you to the same services that lawyers themselves use when they need to find a lawyer in a particular field or state and don't know of one so that you can find a criminal defense lawyer who can represent you on this case.

One such source would be the Arkansas Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge around $50 for the referral and that fee includes a free half hour appointment with a lawyer.

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=AR

To get still a wider range of possibilities, you can also check out a commercial lawyer referral service. There are many of them, but two that highly regarded are www.Martindale.com and www.Avvo.com

Many of their lawyers are peer and client-rated, which you might find helpful to narrow down your choices.

Are you saying they would automatically suspended my license??

Sort of. If anyone is convicted of a marijuana offense in Arkansas, Arkansas will suspend his or her driving privileges. They cannot suspend your license because it's not an Arkansas license to suspend, but they can suspend your ability to drive in Arkansas. Once that's done, they will notify NYS. New York would notify you of when they will suspend your license.

In your opinion, would taking drug education classes offered through Arkansas be helpful?? What about driving courses?? I would be more than happy to take them now before my court date on 1/11/18

Judges tend to be responsive to criminal defendants who own up and take accountability for their actions and who take proactive steps to turn their lives around. Chances are, the court would recommend drug classes. You want to run that by the lawyer that you hire, because you want to choose a program that the court would have high regard for. They are not all equal.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.