Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My ex girlfriend filed a police report stating that I hit…

Customer Question
My ex girlfriend filed...

My ex girlfriend filed a police report stating that I hit her what is going to happen next?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Tennessee and I am not quite sure I think it was filed a day ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I'm not sure if she did file one it seems just what she said how will I know if she did?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/15/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Have you been contacted by the police to make a formal statement or answer any questions?

Keep in mind that anything you say to the police officers or investigators can be used as evidence against you in court.

That being said, you should not answer any questions without an attorney present. You also do not have to speak to the police at all if they do not have a warrant, and this is often the advised course of action.

If your girlfriend had any bruising or marks, or if she had anyone accompany her and provide a witness statement, then it's quite possible the police may seek an arrest warrant without first questioning you.

If that happens and you are served with a notice to appear or an arrest warrant, then you'll want to look into hiring a defense attorney to represent you. If you can't afford one, then a court appointed public defender would be assigned to you at your first court date.

If charges are filed for a battery, that is a misdemeanor offense, punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a fine.

Just because charges are filed though, does not mean your case would result in a conviction. The prosecutor still has to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that the battery occurred.

The more evidence they have, the stronger their case, and vice versa.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer