Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If you know of someone who has committed a child crime are

Customer Question
If you know of someone...
If you know of someone who has committed a child sexual crime are you no to say anything about it or e
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: NJ
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes. The person happens to be my son-in-law and has done 3 1/2 years in prison. He refuses to continue his psychiatric treatment. Him and my daughter are divorcing but he has been acting strange around their one old son. He is getting three day visting rights
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, we have just learned the strange thing he has been doing to my daughter like telling she is the little child he can abuse and demanding her to dress him in diapers
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

The person's name is T******J**** B*******. Did time in Fort Dix, NJ

11/15/2017
Criminal Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
what can I answer for you?
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 month ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

In New Jersey, everyone in the state is a mandated reporter when it comes to issues of child abuse and neglect. You don't have to be 100% sure of what's going on to be required to report it. It's enough that you have a reasonable suspicion that someone may be sexually abusing a child. The matter should be reported to DCF. Failure to do so is actually a criminal offense in NJ and can be prosecuted.

Here's the statute, below:

9:6-8.14. VIOLATIONS INCLUDING FAILURE TO MAKE REPORT; DISORDERLY PERSON

Any person knowingly violating the provisions of this act including the failure to report an act of child abuse having reasonable cause to believe that an act of child abuse has been committed, is a disorderly person.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD