Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I need to know what number of calling constitutes to

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know what number of calling constitutes to telephone harrasement. Not the threatening calls.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet but its just 4 to 5 calls should that beserious ? serious*

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/14/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

There is no specific number. It is on a case by case basis, depending on number of calls, duration, statements made (if any), and time in-between.

Criminally speaking, one commits the crime of annoying phone calls pursuant to California Penal Code 653(M) PC if the calls are obscene, threatening or one of a series of repeated calls, with the intent to harass or annoy the person you are calling. So there is no number of calls per se.

For a restraining order (civil), there is also no number of calls and it depends subjectively if it can be seen as harassment/stalking.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.