Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My Son was arrested last night for a domestic violence

Hi, my Son was...

Hi, my Son was arrested last night for a domestic violence charge, we go to court tmrw, judge said if he plays guilty he can give him the minimum which is a class, and that would keep it off of his record is that true?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the domestic violence charges?

Tmrw morning

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the domestic violence occur?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, his girlfriends mom is a public defensed in that courtroom, the judge and prosecutor attended her mother's Wedding! Feels very biased

11/14/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What would he be pleading guilty to? Would his case be dismissed at the end of his successful completion of the class? Does your son have a lawyer?

Assault disorderly conduct, no lawyer as of yet
Can't talk currently at work, the party about her family working in that court is what worries me, advise, plus where are you located?
part
Case would be dismissed at the end of the class
Zoey?
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Good evening. Did you opt your other expert out and still need help?

my question was not answered

I would be happy to assist. If he is a first time offender, it is possible that the court is offering him a diversion program. I say this because the end result, is that the case will be dismissed. However, he needs to make sure and be aware, of what is required of him and that the State agrees to dismiss this. Now, if he believes that there may be a conflict as a result of the Judge and Prosecutor knowing her mother, he can ask for the Judge to recuse themself and to re-assign the case to a new Judge.

Great advise! The part about her family working in that court is what worries me, girlfriends Mom is a public defender in the courtroom, friends with judge and prosecutor, all laughed about attending her wedding, we would be smart, to hire an attorney right? Or recuse and hope for the best?

You are welcome. Yes, it is always in your best interest to retain a criminal defense attorney. They can look over the facts of the case and see what defenses he may have and if there are none, work out a deal and make sure the diversion program is in his best interest. Even if the Judges re-assigns this case, the offer could be the same but if he thinks he will be prejudiced in the court room, he does want and need to address this. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty