Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My ex husband has been in jail for 3 years now. He is now in…

Customer Question
My ex husband has...

My ex husband has been in jail for 3 years now. He is now in federal prison awaiting a court date in Harford Co Maryland for a VOP. I'm just trying to find a starting point. The only reason he needs an attorney is that when he got out of prison he was paroled do 8 of the 10 years. It was after my daughter's death. The foster family made 1 accusation and he was picked up. He spent 18 months in Harford Co doc. At his last trial his attorney came to us stating he wasn't prepared for his trial, but t he hurt was in the other room and if he didn't please guilty he would spend the remainder of his life in jail. He almost died twice there for lack of treatment. So we thought it best to please out so we could bring him home so he would get proper medical attention. After he got out he was living in a motel which was the best he could do. At that time he started getting sick again. He went to his po and she told him if he was to sick t o work then he would have to live in the street. But he would still have to report to her eebery week. At t hat time they also told him that there were no shelters that would accept him, at that time it was the middle of the winter. So he went to Kentucky where his brother was to help him, he has since passed. When he did get to MY. He was in intensive care 4 different times. Over the year that he was here they diagnosed him gave him medication which he has to take daily for life he was healthy again. They f ound him he walked to them for he had to get this behind him. He has endured unimaginable cruelties. They sent him from knox co jail after serving a year, to federal for crossing the state line for 27 month which is to far for his family to visit. The judge stated he was never to be without his medications. They sent him t o ocilla GA , during the time he was there he never received his meds on time thius caused him to almost lose his life. They started giving him some antibiotic prescribed by the prison which almo st killed him. They finally sent him to the hospital and was told he needed to stay for this medication had caused problems which he would need surgery for. The prison guards would not allow him to stay. He went back to the prison in GA and stayed there for I'm not sure how long, I'm sorry. They sent him to Fort Dix NJ. He went through Wyoming Kansas and several more states before he got to Fort Dix. All this traveling in the back of a van with metal floor, he laid there for he hasn't the strength to sit up. And all this while no medication. Upon his arrival at Fort Dix he just laid in his bed. Had it not been for 2 vellmates he would have died andd left us for a crime he never committed. He is not well to this day he is to deal to sit or stand. He went in healthy only because he left for medical care now 3 years later he awaiting a court date for vop backing up 8 years again for a crime he didn't commit. And to this day after all that happened in GA he has been in a wheel chair for 2 years. I am waiting on one letter from his cellmates he has a letter from the other one, so there will be 2 if not more. If there is anything you can do to help me get him out of here so he can spend t he remainder of his life with his family 1st and secondly how do I go about filing a civil suit with Ocilla GA for administering the wro by medication almost killing him, letting him lay on the metal floor cuffed and shackled. When they finally got him to Fort Dix they opened the back door no wheel chair or no mode of help he crawled cuffed and shackled and fell out onto the pavement. While the officers stood there smoking and ignoring him. Someone from within the prison Fort Dix noticed him struggling and came to his rescue. Then he laid there in his bunk for 2 weeks before they got him classified, so there was 2 more weeks without medication.

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?

If there is any way you can help me I would so appreciate it.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

My name is*****: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Phone(###) ###-####email

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/13/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your ex-husband's situation.

As far as filing a lawsuit against the prison system in Georgia, yes, this can be done.

You would need to hire a civil attorney in GA who has experience with similar cases.

The rules of ethics that govern attorneys prohibits me from referring you to a specific attorney but I can let you know that the Southern Center for Human Rights has filed and won similar cases.

You can contact a representative from their organization at this number:

404(###) ###-####/strong>

This is a link to their website where you can learn more about the work they do and the kinds of cases they cover (your ex husband's case is within the domain of cases they cover):

https://www.schr.org/our-work/prisons-jails

Here is a link to a suit they filed a few years ago in GA:

https://www.schr.org/resources/lawsuit_filed_against_georgia_department_of_corrections_officials_on_behalf_of_moth

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!