Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I live in WV. I just came from juvenile court for truancy…

Customer Question
I live in WV. I...
I live in WV. I just came from juvenile court for truancy against my 17 year old son. The attendance officer had multiple doctor excuses in hand, and stated some were real and some were fake. The judge stated they were going to have a police investigation into the notes, and I could be charged with a felony. I'm a registered nurse, and will lose my license with a felony charge. The judge also put my son in the state of WV's custody, with physical custody to remain with me. My son said after court that he would admit to forging the documents. What could happen?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/13/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Forgery, as you know is a felony, but if your son is tried as a juvenile he could still be sentenced to detention center for anywhere from 1 year to 4 years. However, if he has no record the chances are that he would get probation only. If they prove he is lying about forging the documents to cover for you then you too could end up charged with a forgery.

At this point if you have not obtained an attorney for both you and your son, you need to do so, because you are dealing with a serious charge and because it seems the judge wants to make this into a criminal matter.

You do not want your son to admit to something at this point and you need to have an attorney for him and the police will be taking handwriting exemplars from your son and you as well as part of the criminal investigation and they will get to the bottom of who forged the notes. Thus, getting a local attorney now to represent you both is what you will have to do.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer