Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Police raided my house and it just didn't seem right started…

Customer Question
Police raided my house and...
Police raided my house and it just didn't seem right started with a car pulling in my yard and 2 men got out in regular clothes and started pounding on my front so at first I'm not sure who it is cause there not saying anything while knocking so they spend about 5-10 minutes knocking first at front then at back then back at front again before they leave after there second attemp at knocking on the front door so I had my suspicion but wasn't sure so I went on with my day oh yea before I forget it was me and a friend of mine at the residence so 5 or 6 minutes go by and I see the same car in the driveway again but this time it's a local cop with them also I hear more pounding at the front door and it's one cop and the same 2 guys I saw knocking before the Mebane cop says police search warrant and they boot the door in it must of been more cops that I didn't see because the place was full of cops after they came in I'd say at least 10-15 cops that look like they were mostly in plain clothes with vest on they put me and my friend on the ground and handcuff us my friend told them he didn't live there and they took his i.d and ran it thru the system and told him if it came back clean that they would release him and he'll be free to go it came back clean they released him also he was by a couch and a cop went to search it and said if a needle pokes him he was gonna shoot my friend in the face so they release him the 2 men that were pounding on the door come to me and help me off the floor and sit me in a chair I'm not sure if they were undercover feds or what I'm not sure what agency but one walks off and one stays meanwhile all the other cops I mentioned are ramsacking the place I ask him to see the warrant and he tells me he has to go print me one when they get thru with the search? I'm like what? So he has some papers in his hand he never let me good them read them nothing I asked what this was all about and he said a investigation led him to the residence he skimmed thru the papers in front of me but never gave them to me to hold or even let me fully read them then he tells me I'm not going to jail? Once again puzzled by things this cop is saying so he tells me that I'm looking at him crazy he says oh you don't believe me and takes me out handcuffs then he says I can stay there while they search but he would have to put me back in handcuffs or I can leave and comeback once there gone? Again puzzled so I'm asking them questions cause I'm very puzzled and not understanding wtf is going on so then the other cop that was with him that came knocking to begin with took me outside and basically said they couldn't tell much and left me with the 2 options I statedearlier so I said so I turn myself in or what am I suppose to do and they say they'll leave me the warrant and a card with a number to call? Puzzled again so they take my wallet and my phone and I stay outside while they search one of the 2 cops showed me a badge and told me his name I remember his name but it was so much going on I can't remember what agency he said so I stay there 10-15 minutes then I walk off so I can try to contact a family member so I could have someone else there as a witness for me while I'm gone doing that my brother and my stepdad went over and were able to walk right inside the house? If this is a big raid/crime scene why or how would you be able to do that? So my step dad is recording as much as he could but didn't get everything but my brother ask the same question where was the search warrant and they told him he didn't live there so he can't see it then said they had to go get one and print it out? Same thing they told me but seems weird so eventually my brother and my stepdad leave and the cops leave shortly after I get back 35 maybe 45 minutes later and there gone? Seems weird not long enough time to search thoroughly if you ask me but who knows I go in to look at the damage and im puzzled once again some stuff ran thru some stuff not even touched one while room in the house didn. Get searched at all? More weirdness to me I look around no paper no warrant no card nothing? Weird oh yea also forgot to mention they tore my attic up and 2 sheds/storage buildings that were outside and locked and I told them the landlord doesn't let us use them but they went in them anyway so I finish looking around and I leave I go back by a couple hours later to grab some clothes and there some papers in the door 2 pieces of paper? This is unlike any search warrant I've seen before says u.s district court as headliner? Seems weird to me there's no address phone number or nothing in headliner but says search and seizure warrant and has the address for the residnce describes the residence and how to get there then has judge signature and date and time issued and the city that issued also has date when warrant to be served by says things like see attachment a and attachment b but there is no paper with that his the 2 papers I stated earlier oh yea and it has a case number ***** paper is case number ***** it has one date and time warrant executed:blank copy of warrant and inventory left with:blank inventory made in the presence of:blank has the inventory and property taken which I had a little marijuana in between 30-40 grams and 3 grams of powder cocaine and a scale it says they took documents computer media 6 cell phones and a brown capsule I don't throw my phones away after I get new ones some of them were even broken and don't work but they took them and took micro sd cards I had but didn't take lap top or tablets that I had? Seems weird then at the bottom of page 2 says I declare under penalty and perjury that this inventory is correct and was returned along with original warrant to the designated judge and has date:blank executing officer signature:blank printed name and title:blank so everything was blank on the 2nd page just about which seems weird to me and to me this warrant doesn't explain much which I thought a warrant did but I don't know just trying to get some good advice so I can hire a good lawyer and see what's going on and if I have a chance to right any of this or not
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/13/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Were you arrested and charged with a criminal offense? If so, what's the status of that case. That is, is it still open or was it dismissed or resolved somehow?

No I wasn't arrested I thought I made that pretty clear in the post I'm still free as of now they left the 2 papers I described in the post and a number to call didn't call the number cause I figure I would let a lawyer do that

Unfortunately, your narrative was very difficult to follow. It is largely unpunctuated and totally unparagraphed. So I apologize for my confusion.

If you were arrested and charged with a crime -- you still may be pending the police investigation -- your lawyer would be able to move for a hearing to challenge the entire search and seizure procedure and to try to get any contraband that was seized suppressed.

As it is, however, you were not charged. However, if the paperwork you have says US District Court, then the officers were Federal and not state, and you are in no way out of the woods yet. They will be looking into the contents of your old electronic devices and into what they have taken and charges will likely follow.

You need a local Federal criminal defense lawyer to look into what is going on and give you some idea of what to expect. The Feds don't just do this sort of thing unless they have been watching you/your residence and are now looking to build a case against you.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.