Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a question about a hit and run.. Briefly since it was…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about a hit and run

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes briefly since it was late Friday night

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I fleed the scene because I was scared of getting a dui

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/11/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Do you know whether there was any property damage OR personal injury caused in the accident?

There was damage to the car but I am unaware of injuries
I rear ended the car

Thanks for the additional information. Give me just a few minutes to type up my response.

What you've described is referred to as leaving the scene of an accident under criminal law.

If there was less than $1,000 worth of damages to the other vehicle, and no injury to the driver or passengers, then it will be charged as misdemeanor.

As a misdemeanor it would be punishable by up to 1 year in jail and/or up to $2,500 in fines.

If the resulting property damage was more then $1,00 or if there was injury to the other party, this will be charged as a felony.

A felony would be punishable y up to 5 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $2,500.

In either event, you could also face a 6 month license suspension.

Your choice now is whether to turn yourself in or not. Of course that's a decision you have to make on your won. Some things to consider are that if you turn yourself in the judge and prosecutor may deal more favorably with you. However, if you don't there's always a chance that you may not face charges on this at all ..unless there was a witness, your plate recorded, a traffic light camera or something of the sort.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

They have the plate number but is there anyway they can prove who was driving?

There is an initial assumption that if the plate is registered to you, that you were the driver at the time.

If that's not the case, then that is something that would have to be brought up to the prosecutor, and argued during negotiations and/or a trial.

If your plate was recorded, then you should consider voluntarily reporting in to the police.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer