Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

A Memphis detective has come by my house and called several…

Customer Question
A Memphis detective has...

A Memphis detective has come by my house and called several times, wanting to talk to my 18-year old son about someone who was shot, possibly over a marijuana drug purchase. Detective has said that they want my son to come to the precinct to answer some questions, that he was not present at the shooting, and they won't "mirandize" him if he comes in.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

, that it will take few minutes No charges, they just want to talk to him. They are pressuring us pretty hard.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TN lawyer about this yet?

He talked with som

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He talked with a friend, who is a detective, who said he should not get involved, avoid the detectives until they come to him with a warrant. His detective friend said if they had anything on him, they would have already arrested hi, Shooting occurred last weekend.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/10/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

I'm sorry for the delay, I was away from the site.

Your friend the detective is absolutely right, your son does not have to go in and speak with these officers.

In fact, anything he says to them can later be used as evidence against him in a criminal case.

Furthermore, if the police/ investigators want to question him, they should read him his Miranda rights.

Again, I agree with your friend the detective, that your son does not need to speak with these detectives.

In the event that they do produce a warrant, then your son should invoke his right to an attorney and should not answer any questions without his attorney present.

I hope that helps! Again I'm sorry for the delay, please do let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!