Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I wanted to know if there is anyway I can help defend an…

Customer Question
I wanted to know...

I wanted to know if there is anyway I can help defend an inmate. I have messages saved to help his case!

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

It is in Cumberland, Maryland.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I haven't talked to a lawyer because I can't afford one. I need a public defender to show proof

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yea I need to know how can I help a case??? If at all possible!

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/10/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Can you provide me some more information about the situation. Has the case already been closed/ a conviction issued, or is it still pending? What exactly is the information and/or evidence that you have?

Not closed. Just convicted! It's easier by phone to ask. So much to write. It has to do with domestic abuse the guy I want to defend I DON'T believe hit her. I have proof she was obsessed with him and hit HERSELF to have him locked up. She took him back 12 times
I DON'T HAVE that money rite now on account to TALK via phone. This chat will do!
I have messages how mental the lady is. I caught her even lying to me and I wanted to punch her myself. She is a provoker AND put her bf in jail AGAIN. This is WRONG, sick minded females make stories up when they are obsessed with a bf.

Was any of this evidence presented at the time of trial? Or was the defense attorney aware of this evidence?

I ask because your friend may be able to file a Motion for Post Conviction Relief.

How long has it been since he was convicted?

The trial is coming up in December!! I have so many messages THAT girl accusing him ISN'T stable in the head. She said if she CAN'T have HIM forever, NOBODY will!!
He just got locked up last week.

To clarify, if his trial is still coming up in December, that means he has not yet been convicted.

What you need to do is speak with his defense attorney and provide all of the information and physical evidence (text messages, photos, emails, posts, etc.) that you have from the ex-girlfriend.

His defense attorney will then be able to use this information as part of his legal defense, file the appropriate motions, and present the defense's theory of the case.

You will also need to be willing to testify at trial so that this evidence can be authenticated, which basically is part of the rules of evidence that would allow his attorney to get all of this admitted as evidence at trial.

He should look into hiring a criminal defense attorney right away. The sooner his attorney gets to work on his case, the better.

However, if he cannot afford a private attorney right now, then a public defender will be assigned to him at his next court date, referred to as arraignment.

Once you or your friend find out who the public defender is that's been assigned to his case, you can contact them and set up a meeting to hand over all of the information and evidence you have in your possession.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

This helps a lot. I appreciate your help!!

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Please remember to click 'Finish' and leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my help with your question. 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer