Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

First offence credit card theft what tp expect? Ny a month…

Customer Question
First offence credit card...

First offence credit card theft what tp expect?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Ny a month ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/10/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Credit card theft is categorized as a felony. That means it is punishable by more than 1 year in jail and/or a fine.

The specifics of a potential penalty depend exactly on what type of credit card theft this concerns, as well as the amount stolen.

In any event, it is a serious charge with potentially severe penalties, so you want to look into hiring a defense attorney right away. The sooner your attorney gets to work on your case, the better. There's alot that can be done even early on, to file motions on your behalf, raise possible defenses, or even file for a dismissal.

If you can't afford an attorney right now, then a public defender will be appointed to you at your first court date.

Your sentence and plea negotiations will be based largely on the strength of the state's case against you. ie. how much physical evidence or testimony they have against you.

The stronger the state's case, the more likely a conviction is, and the tougher favorable plea negotiations become.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!