Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am a former felon. Can I legally purchase an air gun or…

I am a former...

I am a former felon. Can I legally purchase an air gun or pellet gun or BB gun, in Virginia, if I open carry? My probation and the other elements of my sentence were completed around February 2011, March at the latest. As a registered Cub Scout Cubmaster, I'm exposed to these at our district campout and day camps.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Virginia. My crime was committed in Arkansas, and although sentenced in Arkansas in 2001, in 2004, I remarried, moved to Virginia and finished my sentence in Virginia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No ma'am. Just got to thinking about it last weekend at camp.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am a permanent resident alien. Since my sentencing, I have been a model citizen (even though not a US citizen). I have been working with the Cub Scouts since 2011, and I am the Bear den-leader, as well as the Pack's Cubmaster. I am being mentored to become the pack-committee chairman. My service dog and I are looking for a new church to become a part of. I am disabled, due to complications from cancer, happily married and a home owner. My life has done a complete 180° turnaround. I'm not looking to do anything illegal. I know I can not have any firearms, but wasn't sure if they consider airguns and BB guns firearms.

11/7/2017
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

If your sentence is complete and your felony has been expunged, then you are restored to full legal rights and yes, you can buy those types of air guns or BB or pellet guns in Virginia, according to Virginia state law.

Additionally, the Scouts have vetted you carefully (I am a scout leader so I know how they do background checks) and you obviously came out fine, so there should be no problem with these gun purchases.

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor