Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Does this cost

Customer Question
Does this cost
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
That is not the question I paid for. The question I paid for is about my daughter. Are you kidding me.
I asked what to do? My daughter was arrested in Texas on a warrent charge out of NM. During the towing if the car they found drugs. Sense she was the driver she gets those charges. Now she has been in jail sense 9/27 and has not even been arraigned. Is that legal?
11/8/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

I'm sorry to hear this happened.

No, this is not legal.

Your daughter should be arraigned within 24-48 hours.

Since she has not been, a Writ of Habeas Corpus needs to be filed with the court -- demanding that she be arraigned, given a bond, told her charges, or else released.

You should look into retaining a lawyer locally where your daughter is being held, and getting the Habeas Corpus filed right away.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!