Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If the original charges in the general district court

(possession of Marijuana with intent...
If the original charges in the general district court (possession of Marijuana with intent to distribute) were reduced from felony to misdemeanor and listed as nolle prosequi (not prosecuted) then aparently reopened by the Commonwealth Attorney in the Circuit court..... can they also ADD any additional charges? Apparently they found lots of money going through accounts which can be explained through other means NOT distribution..... but can they come up with other charges which might TRY and explain the deposits?
11/6/2017
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Yes, at the beginning stage of a criminal prosecution all inferences in favor of the complaint/indictment are considered, and may be the basis of new charges.

The good news is that at trial, the jury is instructed that when considering circumstantial evidence, the circumstances must be "consistent with guilt and inconsistent with innocence." If the evidence could be consistent with both guilt and innocence, the jury is required to either reject the evidence or adopt the interpretation that points to innocence. (Jury Instruction No. 2.400, Circumstantial Evidence.)

Hope that answered your question. If so a positive rating here would be appreciated. And thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Lawyer