Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I want to prosecute a theft for stealing our company's

I want to prosecute...

I want to prosecute a theft for stealing our company's intangible property

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They were work for hire film makers (a couple), they have been hired to shoot a raw footage film which going to be used in our future post-production movie , but they ran away (for they were afraid being fired due to their previous misconduct) with our company most treasure and extremely valuable footage and refused to return to us. They might use it to blackmail us or resold it to somebody in China for profit. We want them to be prosecute ASAP before they can flee away to China.

10/30/2017
socrateaser, Lawyer

Only the county district attorney can prosecute someone for a criminal act. You would have to file a criminal report with the county sheriff's department or city police (if the film was shot within city limits, and the city has its own police department).

You could file a civil action, and ask the court for an emergency order that your film be turned over. But, the court won't order the film makers arrested, and if they can't be found, they could simply leave the USA and you would have no recourse other than to pursue them in the China courts.

So, contact the sheriff or city police, file a criminal report, and see if law enforcement is willing to stop the film makers before they get away.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Very satisfied
5 stars !

Thanks for your kind words and for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
socrateaser, Lawyer