Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

In criminal law, if someone is awaiting sentencing of a

Second opinion] In criminal law...
Second opinion] In criminal law, if someone is awaiting sentencing of a Federal Felony and I have evidence that should be considered by the sentencing Judge, how can one ensure the evidence is brought to the court's attention?
10/27/2017
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

You haven't indicated whether the evidence that you believe you have would benefit the defense or the prosecution.

If it would benefit the defense, it should be given to the defendant's attorney; if not, then it should be given to the prosecutor. Alterntively, you can provide a written summary and file it with the court clerk. You could also appear at the sentencing hearing and ask to be heard.

To do all of this, obviously you need some information, like the case number, appearance date, attorneys names, etc. If you were closely connected to the case you might have the name/number of the investigator(s) who could also assist in providing your information to the court.

Hope that helped. Thank you for using Just Answer. A positive rating would be appreciated, and you can always return and ask follow up questions at no additional charge.

James Daloisio